Praying the scriptures is fairly easy once you get started. The “process” is straight-forward.
- Before reading pray for God to open the Word through His Holy Spirit.
- Read the chapter you’re in and ask God “what do I need from what I just read”?
- Look for the focus points and themes and see how they apply or are relevant to your life now.
- Then begin praying based on what your understanding and what the Holy Spirit is opening to you.
- This last step is really important. STOP when you’re done. Don’t keep rambling or digging for great insights. Just close your prayer “Thank you Heavenly Father in the name of your Glorious Son, Jesus.” (use your own words)
That’s all it takes. As you spend more time in the Word you’ll begin to see the Holy Spirit at work in your prayers and the focus points you are led to. In the book of John, Jesus tells his disciples that part of the job of the Holy Spirit is to 26But the Helper, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and remind you of all that I said to you.
As you spend more time in the word you give the Holy Spirit more and more of Jesus words and words to draw from and remind you of. Spend your time in the Word, reading, praying, and meditating. The benefits are beyond measure.
May the Lord bless you and your family.